Today, June 14th is a special day in our household, because it is my most wonderful and lovely boyfriend’s Birthday! For the past two years, I have baked him a homemade cake, and it truly doesn’t get better than that! With so much going on this year, I didn’t have enough time to bake a gluten free cake from scratch, so I reverted to using a good-ole box mix! I used the Gluten Free cake mix from King Arthur! (LOVED IT)
Since I decided to go store bought with a box mix, I thought I should attempt at making my own Chocolate fudge dairy free frosting. It turned out amazing! I jazzed up the layers by spreading strawberry preserves in-between cake layer alternating with the fudge frosting. I topped the cake off with delicious chocolate covered strawberries and a big dollop of strawberry preserves in the middle.
THIS CAKE IS AMAZING! HERES WHAT YOU’LL NEED…
- One Gluten Free Chocolate cake mix – add bake as box instructions say
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup of coco powder
- 1/4 cup melted dairy free chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup of almond milk – if needed!
- Strawberry preserves
- Fresh strawberries
- Melted chocolate for dipping
- Bake the cake as the box says. I used 3, 8-inch round cake tins for a layered effect
- While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate covered strawberries. You’ll need around 6-8 cold strawberries. Just dip them into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set.
- Next, lets start the frosting. You’ll need to beat the butter for about 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Next, add in the coco powder, vanilla, and melted chocolate, whip until combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until fully combined.
- If needed, you can add splashes of almond milk to create your desired thickness.
- Once all that is done, its time to assemble your cake. First start with a cake layer, followed by frosting then the strawberry preserves. Repeat until you reach the top.
- Last but not least, top the cake with heaping amounts of frosting and decorate with chocolate covered strawberries and more preserves!
- NOW EAT!